Saturday, January 18, 2014

Wrap It Up

I have been having tons of fun creating with the beads generously donated to me by Maryse of Glass Bead Art - all proceeds from the jewelry made with her beads are donated to Miracle Horse Rescue.

First up is the this bracelet, which features an awesome lampwork focal in blue and white - with silvered ivory webbing swirled throughout the glass.



I may have mentioned that Santa brought me an oval disc cutter for Christmas - and I have been putting it to use! I cut two ovals and hammered them with the flat edge of my riveting hammer - love this texture...it reminds me of tree bark for some reason.  Anyway, after annealing and softening the copper, I folded them over for bead caps.


The colors in this bead remind me of ancient Chinese porcelain - so pretty!  I added a few swirled links with coils.


I dressed up the hook clasp with two coiled layers as well.


I am very happy to report that this bracelet has sold - thank you! (The equine residents say "thank you", too)!

Maryse sent me quite a few focal beads in her batch of lovelies.  I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I wanted to continue on my quest to make every link in Cindy Wimmer's new book, The Missing Link.  One of the links uses square wire, which I have never used before.  I bought the wrong gauge - I needed 16 gauge and bought 18, so I told myself, "that will be one link you will never make, Patti".  I mean, I have a pound of 18 gauge wire here! I have made a few clasps with the 18 gauge wire so far, and I must come up with other ways to use it up!

But then, I read Mary Harding's recent post, Inspired by Reading.  Mary made an absolute work of art inspired by a book - and she made those same links.  Her necklace is drop dead amazing!  I immediately logged on to Rio Grande and ordered the 16 gauge square wire! (Thanks for this inspiration Mary!) :)


Mary stated in her blog that it took "countless hours" to make this chain - and I can attest to this first hand!  Mary called it "The Magnificent Chain"...and it is! :)  Square wire takes getting used to- at least for me!  The hardest part was winding the wire around a mandrel for the jump rings - that wire just wants to twist and turn and "unsquare" itself! :)  


This link is fabulous - even though it did take a full day to create enough links and jump rings for the chain! 

Note:  I am experimenting with backgrounds for my photos.  The photo above was taken on a sheet of 18% Gray photo paper - you can truly see the actual colors of the jewelry using this background!


I have self titled this focal Root Beer - it has a lovely caramel colored, translucent glass, with a froth of foam on the top - Yum!  Thank you again, Maryse!!

Image above also using the photo paper.  I am in a quandary, as I like both images.  But, the photo paper, in my eyes, makes my jewelry feel cold and naked - yet 100% true to color.  I dunno...I am at an impasse!  I swear, I took about 60 photos of this necklace - 30 on the photo paper and the other 30 on my natural granite slab.  


I also  keep forgetting to put clothes on Lolita before I take pictures!  But Lolita stands in my basement and her clothes are two floors up.  'Nuff said!

It is a glorious day in Northern Virginia - the sun is shining so bright and it is cold! Yeah for me - my favorite kind of day!  I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Thank you so much for stopping by!

xo
Patti

7 comments:

  1. I could just sit and stare at your metal/wire work for hours Patti. It is truly mesmerizing! I can't tell you how much I love how you've framed that lampwork bead in copper gorgeousness in that first piece. The texture you've worked into those copper caps is outstanding! And the chain in that necklace is one of the links from Cindy's book that I've been oogling over since I picked it up. Your execution of her link is perfection. Gorgeous, gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep outdoing yourself, Patti! That bracelet is amazing. I love the oval disc cutter. I don't think I've seen one before. I have around one. It's fun to be able to cut your own discs. But, I love the way you've used it as a bezel. And, that chain is gorgeous! I've never used square wire either, mostly because I don't like the look of it. But, it certainly made a gorgeous chain.
    It's a beautiful day in MD also. The sky is a gorgeous blue and it's definitely winter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - that is all I can say about your pieces Pattie - WOW!!!! I seriously love them both and the "Root Beer" piece is STUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might survive my envy because I still have some of Maryse's beads....but an OVAL disk cutter.... Jealous!! ;) Seriously, wonderful work.

    P.S. A model named Lolita doesn't really need clothes, does she?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patti,
    Gorgeous work as always I love the bracelet and I am sure the person that bought it will love wearing it as much as I love wearing the pieces that I have of yours. The chain you made with the square wire is amazing and the glass focal you chose to go with it is beautiful. The name "Root beer" fits it to a tee. I think the colors show well on both the gray photo paper and the gray granite.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pieces, I am drooling over the bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patti, what a post! You have been one busy lady between packing and jewelry making - everything from wirework to soldering (again, I am so impressed!). Your coiled copper bracelet with the oval bead caps is a beauty! I taught a local class over the weekend and we were just talking about the different-shaped disc cutters. You truly make use of all of your tool purchases it seems. I think I could really enjoy the oval disc cutter and bet I would use it more than my round.
    I hope you continue to find uses for your 18g. square wire - looks like it will be no problem for you! I loved that twisted wire bracelet you made. And my goodness, your Rootbeer necklace is out this world! I think it may be one of my top favorites now of all of the ones you made with the link. The scale, the focal, the wire work - all just perfect! You and Mary have officially made more of these Sliding Rings links than I have! I really love it as a long chain - I am a big fan of long necklaces myself.
    Wishing you the best with your move...hopefully it's not too far away. :-)

    ReplyDelete