Monday, May 18, 2015

IT HAS ARRIVED!

Written by Patti Vanderbloemen of My Addictions Handcrafted Jewelry

Last time I wrote a blog post, it was to vent my frustration in attempting to receive a kiln that I purchased in late March. Well, lots have changed since last week's post!

Last Tuesday, I received a telephone call from the President of Paragon Industries.  Apparently, the representative of the webstore where I purchased the kiln read my blog post (big shout out thank you to her)!!  She, in turn, reported my frustration to Paragon Industries.  Paragon took full blame for the mix-up/lack of communication, etc, and my kiln was shipped last Wednesday ... and here it is, fresh out of the box!

Paragon SC2 Pro Silver and Glass Kiln
After tons of research related to what would be the best kiln to purchase, I decided to add on the digital controller to easily set and hold firing programs for future use. The kiln also  only weighs 40 pounds - a plus to me.  

I am very blessed to have my studio in a large room in my basement - planned when we designed this house. Not only is it nice and cool down here (it is close to 90 degrees outside today and I won't even discuss the humidity), but the studio has a painted concrete floor which translates to easy cleanup.  Now, the kiln is perfectly safe to run on a regular household current, but I do have a dedicated circuit in my studio.  I did not want to rearrange my furniture - yet again - so I purchased  a heavy duty machine table on casters, so I can roll the kiln to the outlet when I need to turn it on - and tuck it out of the way when not in use.  This dedicated circuit is also located directly under an exhaust fan I had installed when the house was constructed.   


That's my little toaster oven beneath the kiln.  I like that the shelves are metal - just a little safety feature to ease my mind, as things can get hot down here in the dungeons of the basement with torches and such.

While not a chef by title, I feel I am an accomplished cook in the kitchen.  But that kitchen oven does not even get close to 2000 degrees, so I have some reading to do before I actually turn on the kiln!

I harbor absolutely no hard feelings towards the manufacturer or the webstore where I purchased the kiln.  In the end, good customer service did prevail, and it is a happy ending in my little Kiln Story.  

I hope to be blogging about my continued trials and errors with precious metal clay in the very near future - wish me luck (I need it!!!)

Thank you for stopping by today!!!

xo
Patti

16 comments:

  1. YAY PATTI!!!! Now it is kiln party time! You are going to have so much fun playing! I can't wait to see more of your creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see such a great outcome. I too am a happy owner of a small paragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) So Marti, I can contact you with all of my questions...right?! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Good news, Patti! I hope your future posts will be full of your wonderful creations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to say YAY!! I felt your frustration and am so glad it turned out well in the end. Also, what great planning on your part for how your studio is set up and planned when you built. Now that the waiting is over, I look forward to renewed making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am most assuredly an over-planner! I actually also have a 220-volt dedicated circuit...at the time of designing the house, I had not yet decided upon if/when and what type of kiln, so I thought I should at least "look" prepared should that day arrive! :)

      Delete
  5. So glad it finally arrived. I can hardly wait to see the beauty you create. From following your blog I know what you can do and I am very excited for you. By the way your studio layout sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becky! Aside from the current state-of-messiness, I do love my studio and feel blessed to have my own space!

      Delete
  6. WOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! *does happy dance* I'm SO glad that your new baby was delivered safe and sound - AT LAST! Such a shame you had to go through all the drama beforehand, but at least they got their act together in the end! Give it a hug from me (not while it's toasty!) and may you have MUCH fun making a whole load of awesomeness together! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wanted a kiln for so long for my lampworking and potentially for PMC. Someday I will make it happen. Can't wait to see what you create my talented friend ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaaay! I just saw your post and I' so happy you got your kiln! Have fun with it. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy ending to the saga! let the creating begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you had to be a squeaky wheel to get that kiln, but have fun with it now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yippee, the baby has arrived! Have fun! (and kudos to Paragon for making it all right)

    ReplyDelete