Wednesday, June 5, 2013

An Anniversary

June 5, 1954.  That is the date of my parents wedding anniversary.



Dad was so handsome and my mom was real looker - and, in my humble opinion, she still is!


The last picture is from our "final" family vacation in 2004.  The four of us, my brothers and sister, rented two adjoining townhouses on Sanibel Island, Florida for our respective families to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary.  

My father was a proud man.  Though you cannot tell from the picture, he was in pain, and was undergoing treatment (if you want to call what he went through "treatment") for cancer.  He died 8 months later.

I can honestly say that not a day goes by that I do not think fondly of my father, and grieve that he passed away too soon at age 75.  I grieve for him, and I grieve for my Mother.  She was only 69 when he passed.  Cancer sucks at any age. Period.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!  I love you both!

8 comments:

  1. There really are no words of comfort for you and your mom. My dad passed 3 years ago, and I still miss him at the most unexpected times. I'm happy they had so many years together, and sad for your mom. Give her an extra hug from me next time you see her. (Just tell her I'm a tiny bit weird) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your mom and dad. Losing parents is so hard and they leave a hole that is never filled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. My parents were married June 4 of 1955. My mother passed away this past Feb and my dad just passed away Monday. AND we are in florida and I have been to Sanibel Island many times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, Happy Anniversary to your Mom and Dad,...I still celebrate my dad's brithday (he just 'turned' 94 on the 31st of May!) and you're so right, Cancer sucks at any age. My Dad passed when he was only 61 (I was 15) and I still miss him daily!! And for Vera above - my sympathies to you on the passing of your mother just this week - thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cancer does suck. period. But memories live on ... remember him, hug your mom and celebrate the life he did have. Looks like he had a lot of people that loved him

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti, this is very touching and heartwarming. Thank goodness for the happy memories that we have, and can still enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary to your Mom and Dad. I hope the better memories warm your heart and your thoughts, Patti.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful tribute for your wonderful parents! Losing a loved ones no matter how and when is painful: may you, your mom, and your family find peace and may beautiful memories (like the one you shared with us) warm your hearts.

    ReplyDelete