Thursday, June 13, 2013

Java Bead

Java Bead - Two of my favorite things combined into one name! :) Russ Powers - husband to fabulous jewelry designer Dhea Powers - combines some of the most beautiful colors and makes fabulous lampwork beads - FABULOUS!  I have made quite a few bracelets from their beads and over the course of the past two days ( half an hour here, an hour there...) I made necklace from their beads.  I posted a few "in process" photos to Face Book.


Russ' beads are made from borosilicate glass rods and the detail is simply amazing!  See the "webbing" in those beads?!  I love this!

I wanted so very much to do something different.  I oftentimes feel like my jewelry "all looks the same" except for the fabulous beads, of course!  So I was on a mission to find a new chain or link to create.  I saw a picture of some Vintaj ladder chain and thought, there has to be a tutorial out there for this chain!  I could not find one so I just played around a bit with some copper wire until I arrived at the best length and gauge to work with.  18 gauge proved too thin for me, so I used 16 gauge wire.



What I like most about the chain is that it is truly sturdy - each link is connected to the next link - not just attached via a jump ring.  And the 16 gauge wire really makes it feel substantial, too.


I added two hand rolled cocoon beads for a little more interest.  Quite frankly, the liver of sulfur bath and the subsequent buffing -- plus a couple of hours in the tumbler -- is what really made this necklace shine for me!







I have already started a second chain in silver and feel like I actually accomplished something new (new to me, that is)!

Hope everyone is hunkered down away from the nasty weather that appears to be plaguing most of the Country these days (fires, tornadoes, excessive rainfall)...ugh.. Please stay safe!

Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. Your work does *not* all look the same. You've got lots of detail and variation.

    I love making ladder chain so, I can definitely understand your affinity for it!
    *gorgeous work*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say I love your cotter chain...and that Susan at Libellula helped me figure out how to make it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous, beautiful beads, incredible wire work, great design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the chain mimics the flow in the glass! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those beads are gorgeous! And, I love that chain! I don't think your work all looks the same, by the way. Hope you survived yesterday with no problems. It was a nasty day and now it' still raining here. Calmly, but raining!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is seriously cool! you designed a new chain?! fabulous! and I just love the look you create with tumbling. Great piece Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep writing and making beautiful jewelry. You know I am your biggest fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the FB photos thrilled me so much but this post thrills me even more knowing this chain is your design :-D this piece is so incredibly beautiful...it has such a richness to it and looks like it has nice weight to it and good movement. And those beads...WOW!!! just WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a masterpiece! It's REALLY beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on winning the delightful OWL! What a cutie! Enjoy wearing it for many, many years and always in good health and good spirit. Hope the rain has stopped there. Your doggie is so comfortable. He is one lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patti, your necklace is incredible - and even more special because it showcases entirely handcrafted design. The boro beads are beautiful, and your wire chain is just perfect! I can imagine the patience it takes to make each link, and then oxidizing and polishing adds a whole other step that is quite time consuming. The results are so worth it!
    Congrats on your recent give-away win....you're one lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete